We have suspended this role until 2021
We are closed for the redevelopment of the museum and changing our heritage roles, with some brand new ones!
Your are welcome to apply but we will be recruiting ahead of the museum opening next year!
In 2014 The Pankhurst Trust and Manchester Women’s Aid merged to form one charity The Pankhurst Trust with the joint purpose of fighting for gender equality, ending violence against women and girls and celebrating the birthplace of the Suffragette movement. The Pankhurst Centre museum is open to the public every Thursday and on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.
Reports to: Volunteers Coordinator / Heritage Curator Manager / Lead Heritage Volunteer / Sunday Key Holder
Thursday 9.30am-4.30pm (9:30am -1pm / 12:30pm-4:30pm) 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month 12.30pm-4.30pm
Tours on occasional Tuesdays,
Ad hoc Events, Hires, Workshops, Admin support
Please note Sunday Volunteers must commit to at least 1 Sunday a month.
Aims of the Role:
Our Heritage volunteers are the public face of the museum, they play a vital role in projecting a positive image to visitors and act as a point of contact for visitors to provide information and answer any questions.
They also manage the Suffragette Shop and Museum Tea Room Knowledge of the Suffragette movement is not required.
- Offer a friendly and informative welcome to visitors;
- Help visitors get the most out of the Museum by answering questions and sharing knowledge;
- Sell and restock items in Gift Shop
- Obtain visitor comments via surveys and informal feedback
Qualities / Skills:
- Knowledge of and interest in women’s suffrage and/or Suffragette history and culture is not required, we will support you in learning about the building and its history.
- Good communication skills.
- Committed to ensuring a high quality experience for our diverse visitors.
- Be able and willing to work unsupervised;
- Be willing to answer questions that visitors may ask
- We provide training in good customer service practice and museum routines.
- Support by the Lead Volunteer, Volunteers Coordinator, Events Coordinator and Heritage Curator Manager
We particularly welcome applications from disabled, BAME and LGBTQia+ candidates as our service aims to reflect the diversity of the city which we serve. If you have any additional support needs, these can be discussed with the Volunteers Coordinator.
How to Apply:
Please download and complete the application and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop into the Museum on a Thursday between 11am and 3pm and ask to speak to Esther Lisk-Carew, Volunteers Coordinator
Call (during office hours) 0161 273 5673 (temporarily unavailable)
PANKHURST TRUST VALUES
Generous: sharing our skills, creating energetic positive links, and thriving together
Affirming: supporting and inspiring, paying attention to discover what matters
Courageous: challenging inequality, stepping forward and making change
Rooted: secure and participating in our communities, nurturing a sense of belonging